Getting Started with Writing a Literature Review
Image from: Harvard University Graduate School of Education, Literature Review: A Research Journey instructional video.
The steps and journey for writing a literature review are different for different researchers, but here is one potential path to follow.
- Discover questions about your area of study
- Search the relevant scholarly literature and sources
- Evaluate your sources on authority, accuracy, currency, documentation, and relevance to your research questions
- Manage your sources through cloud methods and citation management software like Zotero
- Synthesize the literature to match with themes of your research
- Write the literature review and be sure to integrate your sources in your writing in text citations and a bibliography or reference list